[luau] JVM and Windows XP

Taylor Cody L Contractor 502 AOS/PETS Cody.Taylor at hickam.af.mil
Tue Mar 11 09:58:00 PST 2003

		I received the uninstall info in a newsletter focusing on
Microsoft.  It basically say Microsoft doesn't support JVM anymore and how
to uninstall it and then provided a link to download JVM from SUN.  When I
went to SUN's site I think I got a good picture on what has been going on.
As far as I can tell Microsoft was including into it's software old buggy
java code while at the same time pumping up and promoting .net.  The courts
ruled that Microsoft has to include java with all operating systems,
browsers, updates, and languages.  Plus it has to be the original,
unmodified software SUN provides.  Not only that, they have to provide
updates provided by SUN the exact same way they do with the .net framework,
through Microsoft Update.  They must also stop shipping any software with
the old Java Runtime Environment.  So really Microsoft is supporting JVM
because they are providing the updates that SUN develops.  Does that sound
about right?
		Here is an article about Java and how Micro$oft is trying to
deal with it.
		http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/business/4804792.htm
	Sun vs. Microsoft history
		http://www.sun.com/lawsuit/
		http://www.sun.com/lawsuit/328196v1.pdf

-------------
		How can I uninstall the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
from Windows XP?
		You might want to remove the Microsoft JVM, which Microsoft
no longer supports, in favor of the more recent Sun Microsystems JVM. To
remove the Microsoft JVM, perform the following steps:
			1.	From the Start menu, select Run.
			2.	Enter the command
				RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection
java.inf,UnInstall
				to start the uninstall process
			3.	Click Yes to the confirmation, then select
Reboot.
			4.	After the machine restarts, delete the
following items:
				>	the \%systemroot%\java folder
				>	java.pnf from the \%systemroot%\inf
folder
				>	jview.exe and wjview.exe from the
\%systemroot%\system32 folder
				>	The
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Java VM registry
<javascript:winPop('http://www.winnetmag.com/FindIT/Index.cfm?ID=31')>
subkey
				>	The
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\AdvancedOptions\JAVA_VM registry subkey (to remove the Microsoft
Internet Explorer (IE) options)
Microsoft Java is now removed. You can download Sun's newer JVM for Windows
at <http://java.sun.com/getjava/index.html>.