[luau] Re: no answers from roadrunner dns

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Mar 4 23:18:00 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 10:16:40PM -1000, Ray Strode wrote:
> This is incorrect. Normally (when Recursion Desired bit is not
> set), if a server doesn't know the answer, then it will provide
> suggestions for servers that are more likely to know the
> answer. The idea is, the client can then ask those servers. If
> RD is set, then the server goes out and queries other servers
> on its own and then returns the result.

That is a good explanation of the iterative lookup. However, it
is my understanding that the client does not normally perform
this. I always thought it was up to the DNS servers configured on
your system to ultimately perform that role.

To verify, I edited /etc/resolv.conf on a few systems to point
to different nameservers that I knew did not answer recursive
queries from external networks and could not resolve an IP
address that belonged to a third external network. (I tested on
Debian, FreeBSD, Red Hat, and Solaris.)

Hmm..

-Vince