[luau] Idea For Gaining More Volunteer Support

Karen Lofstrom lofstrom at lava.net
Sun Mar 2 20:20:01 PST 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, demon_jr808 wrote:

> Has anyone approached the various community colleges or the University of
> Hawaii, in regards to finding people who want to help out with HOSEF or just
> learn more about Linux/Open Source?

I'm a student at HCC, in the Computers Electronics Networking Technology
program. They have a student computer club, but I think it's kinda
moribund right now.

The professors are not at all interested in Linux, so far as I can tell.
The guy who started the program -- also the current department chair --
teaches the Windows 2000 classes. The hardware classes cobble together
working computers out of donated stuff, and then put Windows 3.1 on them.
The professor who oversees that effort is not interested in putting Linux
on the computers. Though perhaps someone else might be able to change his
mind. I tried and couldn't.

Some of the students are Linux-oriented. I can think of .... one besides
me. He's only a part-time student and has a full-time job involving Win2K,
so he's not going to have a lot of energy to devote to Linux.

CENT students have to do internships and some would jump at the chance to
do Linux internships, I think. But the minimum is 15 hours a week of work,
which means a place, and someone there for 15 hours to teach and
supervise. I don't think we have anyone with that kind of time.

Am I being too much of an Eeyore? I couldn't convince anyone but someone
as charismatic as Scott might be able to do it.

--
Karen Lofstrom