[luau] Network problem

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Mon Jun 30 18:36:01 PDT 2003

Vince Hoang wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 07:04:20PM -1000, al plant wrote:
> > I have my friends Windows 98 box which runs behind a Linux/unix
> > firewall router. It stopped resolving the IP addresses to the
> > domain names on this box.
>
> How is DNS supposed to be handled inside the network?
*********
I have an IP listed on the router that is on the DSL to the net at the
ISP.
The other boxes on the lan seem to work ok with out any individual
setting.

> > The Netscape nor Explorer will not recognize the names. I cant
> > ping from this box by name either, but using the IP address I
> > can ping ok. Anybody know what resolves the name to the IP in
> > Windows 98 that could be not set or screwed up?
>
> You can use ipconfig/winipcfg to check if the nameservers are set
> properly.
>
> Is there another system behind the gateway that is working? That
> would help decide whether or not the problem really is with the
> Win98 box.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043