[luau] Demo Linux PC

Casey Roberts utexan01 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 08:44:00 PDT 2003

--- MonMotha <monmotha at indy.rr.com> wrote:
> > While Moore's law is now largely irrelevant with
> respect to CPU speed,
> > it is gaining respect regarding flash memories.
> And we may see 512 MB
> > or more flash cards becoming norm in the near
> future.  Being to able to
> > be contained in a flash card, complete with
> applications, is something
> > Linux can see a clear advantage over Windows.
>
> You can actually get 4GB CF cards now, if you're
> willing to pay for them of course.
>
> --MonMotha

I just got my monthly junk mail from TigerDirect, and
they are even selling 512MB and larger CF cards.  In
fact, you can get a Lexar Media 1GB 32x-speed flash
card for $289 plus shipping, and they also have a 2GB
40x-speed CF card available, although for a price
that's a little too rich for my blood.  If you go to
http://www.pricewatch.com, you could probably find an
even better deal.

As far as CF cards using NOR-type chips, please
remember that these types do have longer write lives,
but the two major downsides are they are more
expensive to produce and they are slower to write.
Another downer is that NOR-type memory is not as
compact as NAND-type.  Usually NOR-type Flash memory
is reserved for BIOS chips.

Just my 2% of a dollar,

Casey Roberts