[luau] dhcpd.conf setup

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Jun 24 21:08:00 PDT 2003

Charles Lockhart wrote:
> I've only got one interface, eth0 (unless we're talking about something
> else completely different).  I'm not much of a sysadmin guy, sorry if
> I'm misunderstanding.
>
> -Charles

In that case, you didn't tell dhcpd everythign it wants to knwo about your
network setup.  DHCPd needs to know a LOT about your network setup (at the
minimum, it needs a subnet declaration that is the exact same as your network
card's).  Even if you only want to serve a small range of the subnet up as
dynamic addresses, you still need to declare the entire subnet.  Then use the
range parameter to tell it about where you actually want addresses assigned from.

Example:
subnet 192.168.17.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
   range 192.168.17.100 192.168.17.200;
   option routers 192.168.17.1;
   option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.1;
   option domain-name "secondary.local.lan";
}

The interface is configured as 192.168.17.1/255.255.255.0 (notice the matching
subnet declaration).  I then use the range option to tell it that I only want
.100-200 served as dynamic addresses.  If you have more than one IP in different
subnets on the interface, or if more than one IP range lives on the same subnet,
you'll want to tell dhcpd.conf abotu that too (there's a SHARED-NETWORK option
or somethign like that for telling it about subnets on the same physical network
that you're not actually a member of IP wise, man dhcpd.conf for more info on that).

Hope this helps.

--MonMotha