[luau] Master browser error message on NT

Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Mon Jun 23 12:33:00 PDT 2003

Also in the smb.conf file there is a level setting. If you set it high
enough it will take over as the master browser. So I'd either set it lower
or shut off the samba server if you don't need it. I'm sure the others and
the samba docs can expand more on this. Good luck.

Michael

"R. Scott Belford" <sctinc at flex.com>@videl.ics.hawaii.edu on 06/23/2003
11:45:54 AM

Please respond to luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

Sent by:    luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu

To:    luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
cc:

Subject:    Re: [luau] Master browser error message on NT

Rodney Kanno wrote:
> I have a problem that I am hoping someone here may have ran across
> before and knows the solution. I have a Linux machine set-up on a NT 4
> network. The purpose of the Linux machine is to host a "intra office"
> webpage. The Linux machine is also accessible through Windows Explorer.
> I am getting an error message on the main NT 4 server saying the
following:

> "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
> PHOTOLIB that beleives it is the master browser for the domain on
> transport NetBT_E100B1. The master browser is stopping or an election is
> being forced."
>
> Can anyone tell me what this message means, and what I can do to fix
> this problem? Thanks!
>
> Rodney

Your NT machine thinks it is the master browser.  It appears that your
linux box also thinks that it is a master browser.  I think that this is
some of the most interesting protocol communication because, as you see,
they are willing to have an election to decide it.  I am not sure how
this is decided.

If you do not want to use samba on your intra-office web server, turn
off the service.  Otherwise, you just want to adjust your smb.conf file
to no longer be the master browser.

--scott