[luau] Master browser error message on NT

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Mon Jun 23 11:46:01 PDT 2003

Rodney Kanno wrote:
> I have a problem that I am hoping someone here may have ran across
> before and knows the solution. I have a Linux machine set-up on a NT 4
> network. The purpose of the Linux machine is to host a "intra office"
> webpage. The Linux machine is also accessible through Windows Explorer.
> I am getting an error message on the main NT 4 server saying the following:
>
> "The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer
> PHOTOLIB that beleives it is the master browser for the domain on
> transport NetBT_E100B1. The master browser is stopping or an election is
> being forced."
>
> Can anyone tell me what this message means, and what I can do to fix
> this problem? Thanks!
>
> Rodney

Your NT machine thinks it is the master browser.  It appears that your
linux box also thinks that it is a master browser.  I think that this is
some of the most interesting protocol communication because, as you see,
they are willing to have an election to decide it.  I am not sure how
this is decided.

If you do not want to use samba on your intra-office web server, turn
off the service.  Otherwise, you just want to adjust your smb.conf file
to no longer be the master browser.

--scott