[luau] More SCO stuff

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Sun Jun 22 10:15:01 PDT 2003

Me again, Warren-

Since you are keeping up with the SCO case better than anyone in our own
local Linux community, perhaps you know the answer to my question.

There is another important issue that, based on my very limited
knowledge, the Linux community does not seem to have discussed.  This
regards the statute of limitations.

While Utah may have a different statute of limitations, the* Uniform
Trade Secrets Act*, from which most state trade secret laws are based,
provides that an action for misappropriation of trade secret must be
brought within 3 years after the misappropriation is discovered or by
the exercise of reasonable diligence should have been discovered.  Since
the Linux kernel is open sourced, it would be very difficult for SCO to
argue that it was unable to discover that the alleged trade secert was
included in the Linux kernel.  Thus, the statute of limitation is 3
years after the kernel patch is posted on the internet.

This brings up an interesting point, regarding another undiscovered
advantage of using open sourced software.  If the code has been there
for more than three years, then you don't have to worry about scums like
SCO bringing up trade secret suits.  With a proprietary software, you
may have to live under a constant fear.

Wayne