[luau] More SCO stuff

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Sun Jun 22 09:49:00 PDT 2003

Understandably, this is not a forum for discussing legal matters.
However, most comments from the Linux community seem to have overlooked
several critical elements in that, among other things: (1) this is a
trade secret case, not a copyright infringement, and (2) this case was
filed in Utah “state court” not a federal district court. (Perhaps they
have been discussed, then, please forgive my ignorance.)

I have not paid much attention to this case (because it seems quite
frivolous at the outset). But we need to keep in mind that, in order to
win a trade secret case, you must also prove that the information
allegedly being misappropriated cannot be readily ascertainable by
proper means. If the technology is well-known in the art, or can be
derived from known sources, showing similarity in the source code has no
relevance. Indeed, since Linux is a variant of UNIX, it is preferable to
use the same variable names, etc, so that the code can be more
transparent to non-Linux programmers. Trying to keep variable names the
same is a courtesy, not a copyright infringement.

Secondly, since the federal government has not preempted the trade
secret field, this case belongs to the state court domain. Since most
states have different implementations of the trade secret laws (both
statutorily and via case decisions), only those who are licensed in Utah
can competently comment on this case. Thus, you can treat my two-cents
as whatever they are worth, but just don't quote them.

Wayne