[luau] Electronics design program for linux

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 21:28:00 PDT 2003

Eric Hattemer wrote:
> Anyone know of a good electronics design program for linux?  Preferably
> free and preferably able to netlist and export to an FPGA?  Berkeley had
> a thing called ptolemy, but I'm not sure what it is and can't compile it...
>
> -Eric Hattemer

I use gEDA for schematic capture.  It can export netlists as well.  I'm not
familiar with the exports for making FPGAs (I even design my boards by hand, as
time consuming as it is, read on for why).  The problem with gEDA (gschem in
this case) is that the interface for naming nets is a bit...tedious.  Also, the
parts library is VERY limited compared to commercial offerings.

The gEDA suite is GPLed.

Another common app is Eagle CAD.  A crippled freeware version is available, but
it is not open source.

--MonMotha