[luau] Strange find....

Ben Beeson beesond001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 15:00:00 PDT 2003

Doug and MonMotha,

	Thanks to both of you for enlightening me.

On Saturday 21 June 2003 02:08 pm, you wrote:
> DOUGS at oceanic.com wrote:
> > The cable modem in most cases is a bridge, but the 10-net address that is
> > the first hop in a trace route is the headend router (CMTS) that is the
> > gateway.  It's the same interface as the gateway interface your computer
> > gets with DHCP.  The peculiarities of configuring cable modems with
> > 10-net addresses so they don't use up publicly routed addressses means it
> > is primary on the interface and the one returned with a traceroute.

Ok Doug, Thanks for that, I did not know that.

> > Your are telnetting to the ISPs router which definitely should have that
> > scary warning.  The implications if you could succeed are severe.  Since
> > it is not in fact the cable modem you are telnetting to I hope you heed
> > the warning.
> >
> > Hope this has been informative.
>
> Ah, then definately don't log in :)

	Don't worry, I don't want to log in there, none of my files live there, so
nothing that I want to work on can come of it.... My whole purpose in this
was to make sure my LAN was still doing only what I wanted it to do.  Once I
figured out that all was well on my end, I was happy.  It just struck me as
odd that such an important interface was almost totally naked.  That is why I
asked the question in the first place, and why I tried to ask it in a manner
that would not reveal where it is in an open forum.

Thanks again guys, I learned something new today,

Ben