[luau] Strange find....

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 14:06:01 PDT 2003

DOUGS at oceanic.com wrote:

> The cable modem in most cases is a bridge, but the 10-net address that is
> the first hop in a trace route is the headend router (CMTS) that is the
> gateway.  It's the same interface as the gateway interface your computer
> gets with DHCP.  The peculiarities of configuring cable modems with 10-net
> addresses so they don't use up publicly routed addressses means it is
> primary on the interface and the one returned with a traceroute.

That's an interesting set up.  I guess it makes sense thoguh as I've done the
same thing before (though generally it's a good idea to send the TTL exceeded
error back from the address you were spoken to over, though it doesn't matter).
  That certainly does appear to be what's going on though, as the 24.xxx.xxx.1
address doesn't respond with a TTL exceeded in a traceroute.

> Your are telnetting to the ISPs router which definitely should have that
> scary warning.  The implications if you could succeed are severe.  Since it
> is not in fact the cable modem you are telnetting to I hope you heed the
> warning.
>
> Hope this has been informative.

Ah, then definately don't log in :)

> -Doug-