[luau] HOSEF Moves

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Sat Jun 14 11:18:00 PDT 2003

Hi Michael-

I would like help you today, but Saturdays and Sundays are reserved for
family.  Nevertheless, I will try to show up, if not today definitely
sometime during the weekdays.

Regarding Red Hat 9, since you have quite a few ESL students in your
classes, I would try to include as many language options as possible
during installation.  Red Hat is the best distro in terms of providing
multi-lingual environments.  Everyone will be awed by the way Red Hat is
so professionally structured to run in say, Chinese, Japanese, Korean,
or Vietnamese, language environment.

The default Red Hat installation does not install Midnight Commander,
gnucash and gnumeric.  These are very useful utility programs, and make
sure that you check them by hand.

If Warren is there, I would also ask him to set up access to his Fedora
site in at least one of the systems.  Installing rpms is becoming an
increasing pain.  I have quite a few friends pointing me to Warren's
Fedora site, but most locals are not aware of it.

Since your machines already have Win2K installed, doing dual booting
should be very straightforward.  If, in the future, you need to play
with GRUB, let me know, I can be of some help.

As we chatted during King Kamehameha's birthday, I will be bringing a
Shuttle PC (41G2, with Athlon XP 2000 underclocked to 1250 MHz) to you
lab.  It will be configured to run, among other things, several familiar
Windows applications such as Microsoft Office, WordPerfect, etc.,
seemlessly in Linux.  Basically, again as we discussed, it will serve as
a demo Linux PC to show how far Linux has progressed in terms of
providing the most desirable platform for business desktops.  I believe
most in even our own Linux community are not aware that Linux desktops
have become so powerful, so business-friendly.  A picture is worth a
thousand words, and a demo is better than a thousand pictures.  If
enough interests exist, we will add further accessories such as USB
memory stick, USB hard disc, or even put together a Wi-Fi based mini
LTSP, etc.

BTW, regarding SQL.  I own a small interest in a company that sells
PHP/PostgreSQL packages.  One of our clients is China Petroleum Corp.,
which uses it in their POS operations.  Our next step is to convert
their Windows clients to Linux (the server is based on MDK 8.2).
PHP/SQL, in conjunction with thick or thin clients, appears to be the
most viable avenue at the present time to make a profitable business in
Linux.  I am not able to discuss any aspect of SQL, but will be more
than happy to try to work out an SQL solution based on a clean-room
approach.

Wayne