[luau] PostgreSQL Replication/Clustering solution

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Jun 10 17:28:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 03:12:59PM -1000, Deven Phillips wrote:
>  I'm afraid the only method I have heard of doing thiis is to
> use a load balancer or a SQL proxy. Check freshmeat for SQL
> proxy and I think that can help.

A generic load balancer that is not aware of pg at the
application level will work provided the two databases are
read-only or do not need referential integrity. Otherwise,
it is a disaster waiting to happen.

That being said, I did run into several threads on the
pgsql-general list that mention replicating/syncronizing data
only one way. The production/master server sync's to the slave.
When there is a catastrophic failure, you can manually convert
the slave into production and not risk corrupting your database.

I avoid clustering like the plague. It just does not work,
creating more problems than it is worth. Not even Oracle has
seemed to figure that out how to do it right yet.

-Vince