[luau] Installing Linux Class

Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us Michael_Bishop/FARRINCS/HIDOE at notes.k12.hi.us
Sat Jul 26 18:47:00 PDT 2003

HOSEF will be hosting an Installing Linux Class (aka install fest) at
McKinley Community School. Scott Belford will be teaching the hands-on "how
to install Linux" class. For the installation, you can either practice on
our computers or bring your own.

If you want to practice on our computers, just bring yourself. If you want
to install on your computer, just bring the CPU or laptop. We'll provide a
monitor, keyboard, mouse and internet connection. As for the specs of the
computer, we suggest at least a Pentium 2 with 128MB of RAM and a 3GB Hard
Drive. However Linux will work fine on a Pentium 1, but just so you know,
it will probably take longer to install Linux.

You can setup Linux to dual boot between Linux and another OS (usually
Windows). However, before attempting this, we highly recommend you backup
your data. While there are usually no problems setting up a dual boot,
there is always a possibility of data loss however remote it may seem. We
will not be responsible for any loss of data.

Don't know what distribution of Linux to install, no problem. We have
copies of all the major distributions and we can help find a distribution
that suits you and your needs.

Seating is limited to 20. *Please register* by emailing me at
michael_bishop at notes.k12.hi.us

Where:        McKinley Community School
                       634 Pensacola Street, Room 208
When:          Wednesday, July 23, 2003 from 6pm - 8pm
Cost:             None (aka free)
Map:             http://mcsa.k12.hi.us/map.gif
Parking:       As you pull in the driveway on Pensacola, its the first gate
on the left. Please note parking directions have changed.
Entrance:    The building entrance is in the middle of the building. Go up
the stairs, first left and then right. Your there.
Elevator:     As you enter the building doors, go straight and take a left
and follow the hallway until you reach stairs. Go through the door under
the stairs, take a left, straight ahead. Can't miss it.

See you there.

Michael Bishop
Technology Coordinator
McKinley Community School