[luau] Liholiho TODO list

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Jul 17 01:21:01 PDT 2003

Warren, I have to wonder if this discussion is best conducted on our
hosef-managers list.  I will leave it to your discretion to make the
change if you see fit.  With the idea that this "progress" is
informative to the list, I will continue the thread on luau.

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 12:39 AM, Warren Togami wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 00:04, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>> On Wednesday, July 16, 2003, at 02:50 PM, Warren Togami wrote:
>>
>>> I spent about 3 hours at Liholiho.  Here is a short TODO list.
>>>
>>> 1. Multihomed netatalk routing errors. (???)
>>
>> Are we sure?
>>
>>> 2. LTSP server needs to show up in Chooser. (???)
>>
>> See directions below.  For OSX, one can go/connect to server and enter
>> afp://<ipaddyofserver> and whatever shares have been defined will be
>> available.
>>

> Completely sure.  Okay here's the situation: Normally you don't need to
> configure anything within the netatalk package and it *just works* with
> your normal PAM accounts... except when you have a multihomed server
> and
> thus need multiple AFP net-ranges & other parameters to be defined on
> each interface.
>
> Please do not oversimplify the problem and assume it was due to my
> ignorance.

Easy tiger.  No such assumptions made.  Staying on topic ... you had 3
question marks after your multihomed statement, and the LTSP apparently
is not showing up in chooser.  I was just trying to add to our
"knowledge" based on the info. before me and go from there.  Perhaps I
am the ignorant one.  If there are going to be afp shares on the LTS,
they do need to be defined, don't they?  I don't think that it is
accurate to say that nothing has to be configured.

>>> 3. MacOS 9 and X: Simple shortcut to server, ask for username &
>>> password,
>>> show available shares after login. (???
>>
>> OSX
>>
>> http://www.evergreen.edu/support/how_to/mac_help/macmaposx/
>> home.htm#logingroup
>>
>> OS9
>>
>> http://www.evergreen.edu/support/how_to/mac_help/macmap/macmap.htm
>>
>> (thanks to Evergreen State College for these great how-to's, I used to
>> really want to go there)
>
> Thanks for the links, however we already knew this much.  We need a way
> for the user to skip initial steps, instead going directly to the login
> window, subsequently given a choice of shares which that user is
> allowed.

Both set of instructions include a way to get to this point of choice
you seek.  They just happen to go further and show a way to map drives.
  With OSX this is as simple as adding the server to the user's
favorites.  Upon clicking on this server, they will see the shares once
they enter their password (if it was not already added to keychain.)

I am just trying to help our group effort.  I assure you I am not so
bold as to make the assumptions you allege.  Let's just make this a
positive and rewarding experience for all those involved, especially
the audience that is this list, *please*

> Warren

--scott

R. Scott Belford
Founder/Chair/Treasurer
The Hawaii Open Source Education Foundation
P.O. Box 392
Kailua, HI 96734
808.230.8845
scott at hosef.org