[luau] Powering Off a Linux Machine

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Sun Jul 13 10:39:00 PDT 2003

MonMotha wrote:

> Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
> > Turning off a Linux machine used to be a major pain, now you can reduce
> > it to a simple desktop icon, making the shutting down process even
> > easier than Windows.
> >
> > http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=61971#post61971
> >

> shutdown -h now <hit enter>
>
> or even easier:
>
> halt <hit enter>
>
> Maybe I'm just not used to the GUI mentality, but it always seems easier to me
> to just type halt or shutdown -h now than to bring up a menu, click a button,
> confirm, etc.  Then again, I always have at least 3 xterms open, usually one
> already with a root prompt up, and let's face it, how often do I shut my
> computer off? :)
>
> --MonMotha

MonMotha,

Yes!  I operate  FreeBSD and Linux on the desktop and agree with the
ease of shutdown - h now

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043