[luau] Powering Off a Linux Machine

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat Jul 12 10:44:00 PDT 2003

Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
> Technologically speaking, of course, this something even lesser than
> triviality.  But the key point is, I can show this to a Windows user,
> and tell him/her that: I can shut down a Linux machine by
> double-clicking an icon, can you do that in Windows?
>
> (Typically you turn off your machine when you are ready to leave.  In
> order to beat the traffic--has anyone ever had to drive through H1
> during rush hours? every second counts.)

Oh I know :)

Maybe it's just that my X desktop only serves to help me multitask and display
images, not to provide a usable interface in and of itself.

People who are used to command lines, like myself, find the command line quick
and easy.  Personally, the only menu on my desktop I ever use is the root menu,
mostly for bringing up more xterms, the window ops menu (middle click) for doing
things to misbehaving windows, and the window list menu (right click) for
switching to hidden windows.  People who are used to using a GUI exclusively
find navigating menus (which I find tedious) easier than simply bringing up a
terminal, suing, and typing halt.

It's a matter of preference as well as habit.  The first thing I do when I log
into my Win2k system is bring up both a DOS prompt and a shell to my linux box
(I run an X server on my Win2k system so that I can use my linux apps under a
remote display).  This is wildly different from most windows users, btu I find
it simpler to use the command line for things like file management (though DOS
isn't exactly set up to make it easy what with long commands [copy instead of cp
for example] lack of formatted/colored ls, etc.) than to use an overblown GUI.
Again, a matter of preference and habit.

Regarding traffic, have you ever tried to drive I-465 North on the west side in
the airport expressway, I-70, 10th st. area?  It's been really bad recently
since 65 and 70 are closed downtown right now! :)

--MonMotha