[luau] Powering Off a Linux Machine

Casey Roberts utexan01 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 09:44:00 PDT 2003

http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=61971#post61971

> shutdown -h now <hit enter>
>
> or even easier:
>
> halt <hit enter>
>
> Maybe I'm just not used to the GUI mentality, but it
> always seems easier to me
> to just type halt or shutdown -h now than to bring
> up a menu, click a button,
> confirm, etc.  Then again, I always have at least 3
> xterms open, usually one
> already with a root prompt up, and let's face it,
> how often do I shut my
> computer off? :)
>
> --MonMotha

Not trying to be a spoil sport, but the option of
making a shortcut to a command is not a new concept.
I've only been using Linux for about a year and a
half, the versions of Red Hat and Mandrake that I've
used would let you create a shortcut tied to a
command.  As far as being a pain to shutdown, I've
never had any difficulty shutting down a Linux box
throught the command prompt, and most distros come
with a shutdown option at either the login prompt or
the menu bar.  The difference between the shutdown
options in Linux and Windows is that I've never had
the Linux load hang in shutdown.  I guess Linux knows
how to obey the user better.  ;)

Casey Roberts