[luau] Sending attachments from the command line

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Wed Jul 2 22:45:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 11:59:29AM -1000, Matthew John Darnell wrote:
> I have talked to a few knowledgeable *nix users and they did
> not know this command that allows you send a mime attachemnt
> from the command line - as opposed to sending the text in the
> body of the email.

Actually, that is not technically a MIME attachment. Some MUAs
have built in support for uudecoding messages.

If you need to do some heavy MIME work, you might want to look
into perl's MIME::Base64. As a point of reference, that is what
SpamAssassin uses, so it may already be on your system. (See
`perldoc MIME::Base64`.)

> address> i.e uuencode pass.txt pass.txt|mail -s "This is the
> pass.text file" mdarnell at gogogadget.com

Wow. I am having USENET flashbacks.

-Vince