[luau] Postgres

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Wed Jul 2 19:50:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 09:50:16AM +0900, John Johnson wrote:
> I remember from years ago the joys of kill -9, but don't know
> how clean or wise it would be to do it, especially since I
> don't know how to restart the processes once I kill them.
> Thanks for the /sbin/service advice!

Joys? You want to use -9 only when all other attempts fail.
If you are lucky, you will only have a few stale lock files lying
around. If you do that to PG, you can corrupt your database.

It has seriously been years since I have had to SIGKILL any
processes outside of rpm. Most services should behave nicely and
quit with SIGTERM (`kill $pid` instead of `kill -9 $pid`).

Most SysV-like systems should have service scripts under
/etc/init.d. A utility like `service` is simply a wrapper that
runs the scripts under that directory.

> I would like to store the data in a directory such as /www/db
> which would require me to tell the postmaster process on
> startup to use the directive -D /www/db. Since this is all
> automated, how do I go about doing that? And is the -I option
> superfluous since it is started in runtime 3,5? Thanks for the
> help!!

The script /etc/init.d/postgresql reads a configuration file at
/etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postgresql. To setup a custom path, you set
the values for PGDATA, PGPORT, and PGOPTS. That being said, I
would again advise you to stick with the default paths.

-Vince