[luau] Postgres

John Johnson jsj at amagata.com
Wed Jul 2 14:49:00 PDT 2003

I have spent the morning installing apt and am VERY impressed with it. I
manually deleted all the files in /var/lib/pgsql. When I reinstalled
everything, the fresh files were put in place. Everything looking good
so far. You answered a very important question that I didn't ask about
restarts. I have heard countless times about SIGHUPing processes and had
no idea how to do this. I remember from years ago the joys of kill -9,
but don't know how clean or wise it would be to do it, especially since
I don't know how to restart the processes once I kill them. Thanks for
the /sbin/service advice!
Now that all is fresh on my system, I guess I have a few questions on
getting postgres ready for handling web calls. A call to pg_connect from
a simple web page reveals:
Warning: pg_connect() unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL:
cannot open /var/lib/pgsql/data/global/1262: No such file or directory
in /www/servers/johnshawaii.com/index.php on line 2
I expect this because I have not initialized the db or anything. But
this brings up a couple of questions. I would like to store the data in
a directory such as /www/db which would require me to tell the
postmaster process on startup to use the directive -D /www/db. Since
this is all automated, how do I go about doing that? And is the -I
option superfluous since it is started in runtime 3,5? Thanks for the
help!!

--John