[luau] Linux based Digital Video Recorder

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Fri Jan 24 12:27:01 PST 2003

Kevin Goad wrote:
> Since the Linux version is $1500 more I need some extra ammo to convince
> him other than the obvious ones like virus immunity and system
> stability.  My only concern is being able to update the OS though the
> Linux is on a 64MB flash ROM.  Any suggestions?

Flash ROMs are re-writable.  Most of the time, the software will provide a
facility to "upgrade" by reprogramming the ROM.  However, if you screw this up
you have a brick :(

I've got a few set top boxes (not DVRs tho) here, about to run linux (not yet,
but soon...need to finish a decent bootloader for them), and it's not too tough
to upgrade on them, but then these are ARMs and I either have JTAG or a remote
debugger.

--MonMotha

--
Optimist: The glass is half full.                      | PGP Key: 0x1B0390E0
Pessimist: The glass is half empty.                    | Outgoing mail signed