[luau] News - Mandrake 9.1 beta 2 review

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Thu Jan 23 23:02:00 PST 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 21:18:53 -1000
Warren Togami <warren at togami.com> wrote:

> Be aware that Mandrake is in severe financial trouble, currently now in
> Chapter 11 bankruptcy.  I currently do not use it, but I recognize that
> it would be a terrible loss to the community if Mandrake goes under.  I
> gave money again this year.

I heard that the problem was due to wild-eyed plans for expansion, in the
worst style of the dot-com debacle, that the people responsible are
long gone, and that this is just a part of the clean-up effort. The distro
should continue unchanged.

I use it all day every day and will recommend it to anyone. Installation
on plain vanilla hardware is a snap. I have it running on a Sony VAIO
PCG-SR7K, with wi-fi networking. That was a drill, but it works great.

My only complaint is that my Sony USB mouse is not hot-pluggable. I even
tried telinit to change run levels, but that did not work well at all.
Enlightenment had a menu command to re-start the window manager, and I
think the X server. No such thing in Gnome, it seems. The only way to get
the USB mouse back is to reboot :-( But this is a problem with X, not
Mandrake.

--