[luau] Learning Linux on an Old Version?

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Mon Jan 20 09:35:01 PST 2003

Aloha,

I have to disagree with everyone here.  There is nothing wrong with using
an old version of Linux to learn.  The problem you will have with an old
version of linux is hardware support.  You have to use old hardware.  Once
you get past that it depends on how much you already know.  If you have
never used Linux or any Unix, then you will learn a lot.  You will learn
about your hardware and how Linux uses it.  You will learn all of the basic
user commands and the directory structure.  You will learn the init system
for starting and stoping applications.  You will learn the difference
between Linux, X, and window managers.  There will be tons of important
things you will learn from using an old version of linux.

There will be things that you can't learn with old Linux, like the stateful
firewall or all of the new options in the latest kernel.  You will learn
these when you upgrade to the latest and greatest.  Anyone that tells you
you will be playing catch up if you start with an old distro hasn't been
using Unix long enough.  You are always playing catch up.  Every day
something new comes out or something drastically changes that you will want
or need to learn.

If Redhat 5.2 is what you have, use it.  Dealing with all the hardware
issues wil be a great lesson in itself.  Having to do the extra searching
for the Redhat 5.2 or kernel 2.0 answer will be great learning.

Later,
Dusty