[luau] Learning Linux on an Old Version?

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Mon Jan 20 08:17:00 PST 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 07:33:37AM -1000, demon_jr808 wrote:
> I have a Red Hat 5.2 and thought it would be a good place to
> learn start learning Linux.

If you are learning, then starting with something current will
at least improve your chances of getting all your hardware
recognized during installation so you can work on becoming
familiar other aspects of the operating system.

> However, many people have been telling me to upgrade to a more
> recent version.

To put it another way, if someone wanted to learn Windows, would
you recommend them installing Windows 3.11?

> Is there any benefit to learning Linux on an older version?

Redhat 5.2 was released in 1998. One reason for installing it
would be to setup a honeypot. I would not recommend starting to
learn Redhat Linux on it.

-Vince