[luau] re: UML (unified modeling lang., not user mode linux)

William N Luoma luoma at hawaii.edu
Fri Jan 17 13:26:01 PST 2003

i think the answer to your aggregation q is yes.

this is not formal uml, but:

"Consider the difference between object aggregation and
acquaintance . . . . Aggregation implies that one object owns or is
responsible for another object. Generally, we speak of an object having
or being a part of another object. Aggegation implies that an aggregate
object and its owner have identical lifetimes.

Acquaintance implies that an object merely knows of another object.
Sometimes acquaintance is called association or the using relationship.
Acquainted objects may request operations on each other, but they
aren't responsible for each other. Acquaintance is a weaker
relationship and suggests much looser coupling between objects.

In our diagrams, a plain arrowhead line denotes acquaintance. An
arrowhead line with a diamond at its base denotes aggregation."

p23 Design Patterns, Gamma, et al