[luau] My Current Linux Needs

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jan 17 12:38:00 PST 2003

Casey Roberts wrote:
> This may not be much help at all, since you are
> wanting to not spend a lot of money, but Tiger Direct
> has a Toshiba Satellite 4010 (Intel Pentium II 266MHz)
> for $379.97 plus shipping.  That laptop may be better
> for you if you want to stick to one of the major
> distros, such as Red Hat, SuSE, or Mandrake.
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=T24-1552%20P
>
> If I find a better deal than that on a i586 laptop, I
> will pass it along.
>
> Casey

I would HIGHLY recommend this rather than that 486 laptop.  It is
multitudes faster than 486, and the extra RAM will help immensely.

You *can* use one of those old small Linux distributions, but it will
probably be very difficult to use for new users such as yourself.  You
will also be limited to very old software, definitely not a machine with
which you can do web development.

Alternatively for roughly $200 you can build yourself something MUCH
better like this:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2037552&cat=86798&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A41937%3A86796%3A86798

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com