[luau] partition problems

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Jan 12 22:26:01 PST 2003

Alvin Murphy wrote:
> Looking for help. When I installed Mdk 9 on my Compaq presario which
> came with WinXp on about 19 G HD, I mistakenly gave about 10 or more G
> to linux, leaving only 7 for Win; I went ahead and installed Mdk and all
> is going well, but I do not need all this room and I am running out of
> room on the windows side. I used Partition Magic 7 and went back to see
> if I could fix it, but there do not seem to be any viable options.
> Partition Magic for reasons I do not understand sees the linux 10G
> partition as all  used and I know it is not, but will not let me resize
> it, use it to create another partition, etc.. So I am stuck, unless
> someone knows of a solution, perhaps a linux tool. Thanks

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/
GNU Parted can resize ext2 and ext3, but it has the restriction that the
start of the partition must stay fixed.

I read somewhere else that Partition Magic 8 *claims* to be able to
resize ext3, but only if you make the two boot floppies.  I didn't hear
any confirmation of this though.  I don't know if Partition Magic is
able to move the beginning of the partition, it seems to be able to for
NTFS and FAT32.

Warren