[luau] Thursday Mililani Status

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Thu Jan 9 23:46:00 PST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 08:33:25PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> * Install Gnome2 and the multitudes of GNU tools to replace the
> incredibly poor Sun tools which nauseate me (or perhaps just
> busybox, it seems to do the job fine)

Solaris 9 bundles a lot of GNU tools. I nearly keeled over
when I found out it shipped with bash. If you want to avoid
compiling other tools (like vim), they can be downloaded from
sunfreeware.com. (If videl has enough disk, a partial mirror of
that would be nice.)

> Before we left Mililani around 4:30pm we were able to SSH into
> the server from my house, but when we all got home it seems
> that SSH no longer can connect to the server. I susepct that
> something bad happened to the server after we left. We wont
> know what happened until tomorrow.

Any chance a small linux box could be set up next to it to act
as a console server? It might not solve the problem at hand but
would certainly not outlive its usefulness.

-Vince