[luau] Thursday Mililani Status

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jan 9 20:33:00 PST 2003

Today Dusty, Rick Chavez, Ray Strode, Vince Hoang and I went to Mililani
in order to work on the their Sun Ray server.  We got started late due
to the lane closures on H1 it was slow going at first due to the slow
filesystem I/O on the server, but eventually got Solaris 9 u2 installed.
  Rick managed to get Solaris Volume Manager working mirroring the two
main disks while we began installation of Sun Ray Server Software 1.3.
We ran into some problems with Sun Ray Server installation due to some
strange java issues.

Tomorrow we will need to get the following tasks done:
* Make Sun Ray Server work so thin clients can login
* Install Gnome2 and the multitudes of GNU tools to replace the
incredibly poor Sun tools which nauseate me (or perhaps just busybox, it
seems to do the job fine)
* Install StarOffice 6.0 and make the default profiles so users don't
have to go through the "Workstation Install"
* Train teacher in management of accounts with Solaris System Manager (I
think that's the name)
* Hopefully install and get Mozilla working.  I had problems with this
yesterday.  If anyone has Solaris 9 Sparc at home could you please help
me by finding working Solaris 9 Mozilla builds, or perhaps building one
yourself if you have the knowledge?

Before we left Mililani around 4:30pm we were able to SSH into the
server from my house, but when we all got home it seems that SSH no
longer can connect to the server.  I susepct that something bad happened
to the server after we left.  We wont know what happened until tomorrow.

I've been up since 5:30am today, and tomorrow morning I need to go into
Mid-Pac at 6:00am in order to make some final fixes to the LTSP lab and
teach the Java programming class at 8:00am.  I will probably arrive at
Mililani around 10:00am.  I'm totally exhausted and have a mild fever.
I'm going to sleep soon.

I will have my cell phone again tomorrow.  If you need to reach me call
479-6297.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com