[luau] Book Review - "Hacking Linux Exposed"

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Jan 8 13:23:01 PST 2003

Warren Togami wrote:
> http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/07/1626211&mode=thread&tid=172
>

> This is a review of "Hacking Linux Exposed, Second Edition".  This was
> one of my first Linux books and I learned much from it back in the day.
>  Some of the info is a bit dated but most of it is still relevant to
> today.  An excellent way of beginning to learn Linux security.

It's an amazingly good book.  It has general security concepts and tools,
analyses of common system services and daemons in terms of security risks, and
case studies in the back.  It's a great book if you want to learn the ropes of
Linux security.

> MonMotha's firewall script is mentioned somewhere in this book.  I
> remember the first time I tried to download his script the URL mentioned
> in the book was down.  I e-mailed him and asked if he wanted a reliable
> host, and that's how he joined our community.  (Thanks MonMotha!)

Page 486, near the top.  (Oddly enough, that happens to be the processor in the
first system that ran a filter ruleset written by me :)  The latest one has the
correction in it (and it's listed in the web site's errata).

And I do thank you for providing the hosting, my dialup was getting pounded
pretty badly for some reason (I later found out it was because it got
published), and the new host has been very reliable.

> Warren

--MonMotha

--
Optimist: The glass is half full.                      | PGP Key: 0x1B0390E0
Pessimist: The glass is half empty.                    | Outgoing mail signed