[luau] Solaris Questions for Mililani High School

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jan 7 23:45:01 PST 2003

John and Keo at Sun,

In preparation for Thursday reinstallation of the Sun E450 at Mililani:

1) Cable
We will need to serial into the Sun E450 in order to reinstall.  My
laptop has a DB9 serial, and checking the docs it appears that the E450
has DB25 serial.  The picture in the manual looks like a DB25 to RJ45
adapter, with a RJ45 to (something) serial cable.  Perhaps I wont need
the adapter, but where do I get the proper cable for this?

2) Default PATH
Where is the proper place to add paths to the PATH environment variable?
  I had already found "crle" which is the proper way of adding library
paths instead of using LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I don't know the proper way
of adding PATH's.

3) RAID configuration
In the Solaris 9 installer I saw a fairly easy partitioning tool,
however I didn't see anything obvious in that menu of how to configure
RAID 1 mirroring that we will need.  How is this done?

4) Sun Ray Server Software
I have Solaris 9 u2, StarOffice 6 and all the rest of the software
needed for this clean reinstall.  Unfortunately we do not have the
original disks of the Sun Ray Server Software (the person that
originally configured it must have taken it with him.)  By today's
prices listed on Sun's site that is $9350.  Latest version is v1.3.  Can
Sun supply this to me before Thursday at no cost?  Sun owes at least
this much to the school.

Thanks,
Warren Togami
warren at togami.com