[luau] Hardware and Linux promotion to business and the public...

tongaloa at atl.org tongaloa at atl.org
Tue Feb 25 06:16:01 PST 2003

The now defunct Linux General Store in Atlanta used to host
a weekly Linux hardware forum. We'd hang out and solve each others
hardware problems, help new Linux users with installs and configuration,
eat pizza, and occasionally drink some beer. The result was quite
positive with some of the guys picking up contract work, some corporate
penetration, and a lot of on the edge linux curious people getting
their machines set up. Most issues were with networking, graphics
set up for GUI, sound card drivers, RAID, and the ever popular with
new guys, DUAL BOOT. We also installed Linux on Sun and MIPs (Motorola)
workstations for some of the corporate guys that had old hardware kicking
around and wanted to put it to work. I'll participate in something like
this, once settled in Honolulu (this Fall). All it takes is a place
with network connection, tables, chairs, and plenty of electrical
outlets...

-t