[luau] [HOSEF] Web Site Content Request

enricom at riverlion.com enricom at riverlion.com
Mon Feb 24 19:15:00 PST 2003

Aloha,

I am in the process of updating the HOSEF Web site, and I would welcome one
paragraph of motivational text for each of the following audiences. I know
people can write and have something to say, since I've seen many lengthy
and passionate posts recently.

1. Educators K-12, college (what benefits can open source provide educators
and schools?)
Possible idea: Cost savings, accessibility - students who can't afford M$
software won't be left behind

2. Parents (why should parents get involved?)
Possible idea: Encourage their children, open source makes computers
affordable, help one another learn about technology

3. Students (what's so cool about open source?)
Possible idea: It's free, meet people

4. Open Source Gurus and Hobbyists (opportunity for enthusiasts and open
source educators)
Possible idea: Take it out of the newsgroups and mailing lists and bring
your knowledge into the real world, meet people, help Hawaii and the
community

Please submit your writing to enricom at riverlion.com.

By submitting your writing, you agree that anything submitted will become
the property of HOSEF and may or may not be used as-is or may be edited and
published on the HOSEF Web site. I'm not out to twist anybody's words, but
the goal is to promote open source and HOSEF. I probably won't post
somebody's 50-page open source manifesto, but if I want to use your writing
and feel substantial editing is necessary to fit the HOSEF Web site format,
then I will do my best to work with you so that we are both comfortable with
the final result.

If we really want open source to be successful in Hawaii, then I feel that
part of the formula for success includes the development of a consistent
message about open source, a message used by all open source organizations,
a message that the average person can understand, and a message that will
motivate and excite people in Hawaii about technology. When the average
person asks you about open source and why it's so great, then your answer
should be almost identical to my answer. I fear that the lack of this type
of coordination will only lead to the general public's confusion, which
could lead to hesitation and possible distrust.

Any constructive comments, criticisms or suggestions are welcome.

Mahalo,
Enrico