[luau] THIS ENDS NOW

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Feb 22 20:45:01 PST 2003

LinuxDan wrote:
> Scott How can you say this when there are three non-profits here on
> Oahu that support Opensource. Not only that but your one of your
> Directors of HOSEF personally threatened the DOE, that is Warren
> Togami who threatened Wes Koga. Why would someone be so stupid to
> threaten the DOE on Oahu with a LAWSUIT if he wasn't allowed to
> install an Opensource network in the public schools.

I was tempted to respond to your previous messages but did not want to
feed the trolls.  You hadn't mentioned names before in your accusations,
but now that you did I must respond.

You quote out of context, adding your own spin to the brink of slander.

If I recall correctly you are referring to the CompUSA Linux Demo Day
where I was speaking with a gentleman (from Wheeler Intermediate?).  He
had mentioned that there is a DOE ban of Linux from connecting to any
DOE network due to "security" issues.  Apparently at some point a Linux
box was setup by a student and left running unmaintained.  It was
compromised and used to attack other DOE network resources.

We had heard nothing about this from anyone else, and I found it
especially odd because I was in communication with the DOE's IT people
that support their Sun infrastructure and they didn't seem to have any
objection to Linux on DOE school networks.  To this day I have never
heard from any other sources anything about Linux being disallowed.

I said that if the DOE enforces an outright ban of Linux, I would file
lawsuit because government should not mandate the use of one vendor over
another when no real technical analysis is done.  If such a thing were
to happen only then it would be a valid grounds for lawsuit.  I did not
think that an outright ban would ever realistically happen.

There is a big difference between outright rejecting something rather
than CHOOSING not to use it.  If a government organization chose not to
use a certain solution after weighing the available options then that is
completely valid situation.  It is however completely different and
invalid if one solution is rejected Statewide without even looking at it.

Despite my feeling that I had every right to tell him this, I admit it
was probably the wrong approach.  I had not heard until recently from
you that he was offended and this had caused negative reactions with
anybody else in their organization.  If that is the case then I am sorry
for making this mistake.

> How do you think I received this information and who do you think has
>  the public school contacts for all the network coordinators and even
>  their personal cells in some cases.  Your HOSEF group has given the
> Opensource movement a black eye.  Remember the guote: "The enemy is
> We" , well that refers to YOU so Bill Gates is less of a threat to
> the Opensource movement.  With two hours of mediation we were able to
>  strike a deal with the DOE and save Opensource Projects.  You wanted
>  facts, well there you go!  Our group is growing so quick that we
> have to redo the list of officers and believe it or not they are NOT
> on the LUAU and some founded the LUAU.

> If you cant take any criticism (legend in your own mind) then go home
>  to mommy because your acting as a child and you couldn't Direct your
>  way out of the restroom.  The TROLL is also YOU.
>
> PS. Your HOSEF site sucks!

It would not be worth it to respond to such immature behavior.

This has gone way too far.  This constant negative and completely
tactless behavior is a severe detriment to this list.

THIS ENDS NOW.

Any future flame threads will not be tolerated.  It does not matter
who is right or wrong in these arguments, they are ALWAYS BAD for the
community and only serve to scare away the public.  If flaming on any
topic happens and warnings are not heeded, offenders will be banned
temporarily/permanently depending on the situation.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com

p.s. Direct replies are okay.  Take flames off list.