[luau] Redhat Linux Certificated for Gov't use

Casey Roberts utexan01 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 22 01:53:00 PST 2003

--- Karen Lofstrom <lofstrom at lava.net> wrote:

> In the same vein, I suppose everyone else saw the
> bit on Slashdot re the NSA enhanced security version
> of Linux? I didn't explore the links in
> detail. Are we going to be able to see the source
> code on that or do we have to trust the NSA and use
> binaries :)
>
> -- Karen Lofstrom

NSA has actually played a large role in developing
secure Linux packages for a while (First public
release was 22 December 2000).  In fact, with the 23
August 2002 release, it was announced that the patch
was being merged into the Linux 2.5 kernel, starting
with 2.5.27.  They can no longer solicit follow-on
work, but they have quite a few guys that help
contribute to it on their spare time, and just came
out with the latest release on 15 January.  And yes,
since the patch is released under GPL, you have the
option to download source.

http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/

Casey Roberts