[luau] Redhat Linux Certificated for Gov't use

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Feb 21 20:39:00 PST 2003

Karen Lofstrom wrote:
>>Got a verbal notice today that Redhat is certificated
>>for use on DoD network
>

> In the same vein, I suppose everyone else saw the bit on Slashdot re the
> NSA enhanced security version of Linux? I didn't explore the links in
> detail. Are we going to be able to see the source code on that or do we
> have to trust the NSA and use binaries :)

IIRC, unfortunately due to certain proprietary companies lobbying, the
NSA was forced to stop funding of development.  Apparently it was
unfairly spending tax payer money giving a market competitor an advantage.

(You can see lots of examples of that in Universities, government money
going into research that later becomes commercial companies.  Is it
hypocrisy?)

Warren