[luau] Re: Marty Plotnik and Stan Bautista

maddog maddog at heavymetalradio.net
Fri Feb 21 20:15:01 PST 2003

re: So, if you are a tech person, your future here
will most likely depend on supporting an activity that
is best done here. Tourism, the military, state and
local government, home repairs for movie stars  living
on Maui.

Interesting.  That pretty much eliminates hi-tech
commercial software development.  Perhaps I read more
than I should have into Don's comments but that's the
area I thought he was talking about promoting.

Actually software development is well suited for Hawaii. It is not a high
cost business, no manufacturing involved, and office space is pretty
competitive here as compared to the mainland. Anybody that needs offic space
come and talk to me and I will hook you up.

The highest cost is in salaries which ironically everyone says is so low. I
think that we have seen in the past few years a leveling out of slaries
except for certain companies as most companies are starting to realize it is
much easier to retain good people if you pay them well.

Don

---