[luau] our economy

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Fri Feb 21 11:45:06 PST 2003

On Thursday 20 February 2003 08:32 pm, Stan Baptista wrote:

> So how does Hawaii expect to attract and keep high
> quality technical talent and businesses when they can
> do so much better elsewhere?  Frankly, I have yet to
> hear any answer other than "lucky live Hawaii" when I
> inquire about the salary situation.  Well, I
> guess...maybe, but it's not a very satisfactory
> answer.

begin rant
I have come to hate this phrase.  This and the "price of paradise."  They
seem to excuse every market inefficiency and economic incongruity we have.
They distort basic laws of economics by enabling one to justify non-market
rates simply because of our location.  They create an economic myth that is
simply not true.  I find that greed, the fact that we border on being an
isolated second world government, and unchecked corruption are the true
contributors to our staggering economic discrepancies.  A simple solution is
not so easily stated.
end rant

scott