[luau] Think Tech Hawaii and Linux

Stan Baptista sbaptista at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 20:30:00 PST 2003

Hi Don and all,

re: We are advocating the creation, nurturing and
growing of a successful tech community.

I moved here recently for family reasons after living
in Massachsetts and New Hampshire for many years where
I worked as a software engineer and manager for
companies like Wang, Avid Technology, and one of Ray
Kurweil's businesses to build voice recognition
shrink-wrapped software.

I am still getting over the shock of how poor the
salaries are here while the cost of living is as high
as Silicon Valley or New York city and the houses (on
Oahu) are ridiculously expensive.

So how does Hawaii expect to attract and keep high
quality technical talent and businesses when they can
do so much better elsewhere?  Frankly, I have yet to
hear any answer other than "lucky live Hawaii" when I
inquire about the salary situation.  Well, I
guess...maybe, but it's not a very satisfactory
answer.  And I don't see much hi-tech here even though
efforts like the Maui Technology Center, the
incubators in Manoa, etc. have been around for awhile.
 Is there a connection?  Don't know, perhaps some of
you do.

That's my rant, had to get it off my chest (and of
course, I have an agenda-I'd like to stay in Hawaii
but can't hack getting 30-50% less here with higher
cost of living than Boston or other places.)

On another note, I joined LUAU as a source of info and
help because I recently installed Linux on one of my
machines primarily to get some exposure to it.

For the record, I'm not passionate at all about Linux
or Open Office.  In fact, I barely know anything about
Open Office and was surprised to read in these emails
that it's even being discussed as a replacement for MS
Office.  (So, I guess I have some homework to do:-)

I have a few comments and forgive me if I sound a bit
preachy but I've been a little bothered by the
in-your-face email on this topic. So, FWIW:

1) IT'S NOT ABOUT TECHNOLOGY and never has been.  It's
about convincing people that a solution, which in our
case involves some type of technology, makes them more
productive, gives them an edge over the competition,
covers their butts and makes them look good to the
boss (an amazing number of business decisions involve
the last two).

2) So unless you can convince folks that Open Office
provides the above, you'll have a tough time getting
them to put their careers on the line by bucking a
"sure thing".  I haven't found that bashing them over
the head with your particular favorite technology
works very well.

3) On the other hand, if you focus your evangelism on
early adopter types with high credibility in their
respective businesses-and for them it IS about the
technology-you'll have a much higher success rate.
But you still need to satisfy 1).

4) IT'S DEFINITELY NOT ABOUT THE BEST TECHNOLOGY and
never has been.  If that were the case, 90% of the
desktops in the world would be Macs and 10% Windows.
Instead, it's the other way around.  Why? Because
Microsoft offered the best cost/benefit scenario and
it had a great sales/marketing machine (like it or
not).  It didn't matter if Macs had superior
usability.  They were more expensive and the cheaper,
buggier DOS/Windows applications were still better
than anything folks had at satisfying 1) above.

5) So even if Linux and Open software are proveably
"better", that in itself, doesn't matter.

6) Less you think I'm an advocate for Microsoft or
Windows, I'm not.  I'm pretty agnostic about OSs,
software and whatever.  I enjoy software but it's
primarily a job for me and have seen too many
excellent concepts go up in flames because
technologists forgot that it's about the technology
only to them.

Geez, two rants.  Sorry everyone.

Stan

=====