[luau] Re:Alvin

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Fri Feb 21 09:57:00 PST 2003

On Friday 21 February 2003 05:56 am, maddog wrote:

> Finally, to answer Alvin, I joined this list for help on Linux too. I just
> so happened to put out that we would like to do a Linux show and this
> thread started. I am happily using and learning Linux at work and it is a
> great system. I almost went through the roof yesterday when I got Samba
> working. These dicussions need to be had. It helps me understand where you
> all are coming from and what you are about.

I am glad you joined, Don.  I may be one of the few members who a)listens to
HPR (hawaii public radio) exclusively, and b) gives HPR a reasonable sum of
money each year.  Furthermore, I listen to your show as often as my schedule
permits.  It is clear to me that Think Tech Hawaii is a show that endeavors
to grow the Tech industry here.  You guys have open discussions, you invite
anyone to call in, and between you, your callers, and your guests some
knowledege and information seeps to me, the listener.

I do not know of very many public radio stations that offer the local
programming that we do.  You should all know that Think Tech Hawaii is not
the normal offering for public radio, and we should be grateful for its
existence and endeavors.  It is true that not enough has been said about
Linux and Open Source Software.  It is true that not enough of us have
reached out in a positive manner to enlighten and inform the good folks at
TTH.

Ho'ala has.  He has done so in a productive and professional manner.  Don was
good enough to let us know about a lecture TTH sponsored.  More of us should
be at these events as Ho'ala was.  I know that Alvin has been a consistent
caller to TTH, but it takes more.  I do not fault TTH for not featuring Linux
more; I fault our commnunity for not organizing in a more proactive manner to
enlighten and inform the populace.  While this is now the mission of HOSEF,
it will take time and patience.

I remember lurking around the Physics labs at UGA in the early 90's.  I
remember those really cool guys that had linux and NextStep on their
computers.  I also remember the near disdain they had for users of other
software.  They did not inspire me to learn about Linux.  I did not want to
be like them.

I also remember those few people that were using alternative software who
wanted me to share in their enthusiasm.  I was not belittled or made to ask
why theirs was "better."  It was just a different tool that they had, and
they were happy to show me its advantages.  I wanted to be like them.  I
wanted to learn about Linux and be able to tell my Mom about it.

People will be inspired to use Linux when they experience the enthusiasm and
joy users have.  They will be dissuaded from it if the perception is that
Linux users are smug, resentful, and often more critical than creative.  What
shall we be as a community?

scott