[luau] Re:Alvin

maddog maddog at heavymetalradio.net
Fri Feb 21 05:52:00 PST 2003

Alvin,

Discussion is good, it's what brings about ideas. I just wanted to reiterate
what we are about. The whole OpenSource movement, collaboration, sharing,
co-development is what we aretrying to get the business community to
understand is what spurs on development.

Hawaii is a closed, good ol' boy business environment. Maybe this is why it
has been difficult to get Linux really going here. I think this list and
what you all are doing is a great thing and Scot and Warren hit it on the
head with HOSEF.

My view on education and tech is that it is never too early to teach kids. I
have 2 preschool age kids that take computer, music and my daughter takes
hula. Culture and computers are an important start for little kids to become
well rounded and contributing citizens at the time they graduate high
school. And if they have studied some sort of technology, biology,
astronomy, computers and so on they CAN be job ready then and earn a
substantial living. If they decide to further their education that is even
better. By creating this type of environment their friends will start to see
the benefits of studying and maybe we can change our environment from hotel
and tourist industry workers to tech workers, the pay is certainly better.

I am an advocate of early education but in order to implement that teachers
have to CHANGE the way they think about teaching. That is where the biggest
problem is. There are several teachers out there that see the benefit of
this, unfortunately they are a small minority. There are several programs
springing up now that are starting to change this attitude, It will take
years for that to happen.

As I said in my last post I am happy to do a show on the Open Source
Community. I think this type of thinking outside of the box  and
collaboration is just what we need here, but Linux as you said, is only a
part of that. If I was to do a show this is how it would go:
1) The History of Open Source
2) How Does Open Source Work?
3) How can the average guy find out more about Open Source?
4) What is the business case for Open Source?
5) Is Open Source Compatible with Microsoft?
6) WIll Open Source bring new jobs to Hawaii?
7) How Is Open Source being used in Hawaii?

These types of questions would be intersting to us because it gives a
perspective of what Open Source is and how it will affect joe computer user
at his job. It also would answer the question of what does it have to do
with Hawaii? Now bringing up HOSEF and whatever other programs exist out
there that are attempting to educate kids on this is a great idea so theat
people can see that their kids may be learning this stuff. That may serve a
greater purpose than you realize and legitimize your cause even greater and
you will create lifelong users that way.

Finally, to answer Alvin, I joined this list for help on Linux too. I just
so happened to put out that we would like to do a Linux show and this thread
started. I am happily using and learning Linux at work and it is a great
system. I almost went through the roof yesterday when I got Samba working.
These dicussions need to be had. It helps me understand where you all are
coming from and what you are about.

Don

---