[luau] Redhat 8 Slow on my P2-300 MHZ 128MB Ram Laptop

demon_jr808 demon_jr808 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 20 18:08:00 PST 2003

Hi Everyone,

Let me reiterate the title of my post by saying that Redhat 8.0 is rather
slow on my laptop (P2 300Mhz 128MB Ram). I am assuming that this could be
caused by Gnome/KDE (I'm not sure which is running, I get confused by this)
since it appears to be very graphics intensive.

1. Can anyone tell me how I can disable Gnome/KDE and just run "plain"
X-Windows (or does Gnome/KDE and X-Windows go hand-in-hand, meaning you
cannot have one without the other)?

2. Any other suggestions as to why Redhat 8.0 is running slow on my laptop
and what steps I can take to improve performace?

Thanks!