[luau] Thinktech Hawaii and Linux

Craig craig.allen at alumni.ls.berkeley.edu
Sun Feb 16 23:55:00 PST 2003

 >It is very hard for seasoned businessmen and women
 >to trust something that is Open Source as
 >it is completely contrary to their way of thinking.

It is'nt really of course, it's the most natural thing possible in
mercantilism and craftsmanship.  Here is why.  Software itself is not
the end all.  It has to be at least installed.  And then at least
configured.  Then used to produce real work.  Software is not really a
product.  It's the toolset of computer engineering of all sorts.  Shrink
wrapped software works on the idea that you be your own expert.  It's
works because it's expensive to have a software engineer build you
something like MS Word.  People be their own expert in that case.  But
it's a more traditional thing with systems to have someone customize the
tool to fit it to the particulars of the business at hand.  Someone that
doesn't need anything from Word that isn't in Open Office is clearly now
in the market to spend a few hundred dollars for some custom macros.

What craft has not adopted some standard tools?  This is the real
impetus for software to be free... it's not to give anyone anything for
free, you are supposed to give the money to someone who will do
something really usefull with it.  That might not be a software
engineer, maybe it's an author getting paid to write something using
Open Office.  But it might be a software engineer customizing Open
Office for that successful author who naturally has a few dream-feature
requests.

Software is the ultimate tool building craft.  The result is always a
tool itself.  It's like a carpenter in the same situation would find
that once he built a certain type of house he could just copy it.
 Instead of a work product the house actually becomes another tool.  He
can just pop it down anywhere, as a starting point.  He will have to
adapt anything that was dependent on the original location, like the
water and electric system hookups.  Over time you grow more adapters and
make the houses more standard in respect.  This is all optimizing the
amount of adjustments made to place a particular model at a location.
 Open Source of all kinds is a system where programmers get to reuse not
only the houses they've built, but the houses of thousands upon
thousands of other programmers.  Truly a situation with a lot of
engineering potential.

We'll be able to provide this profitably because open source will be
standard, and customizations someone wants for the first time will be
9/10'ths of some subsequent customization.  Instead of companies dying
and taking their products, our tools, with them, we know that awk will
stay even if perl is better,  A person will be able to choose something
better, if they  think it's better, but customers won't find their
system no longer works with a new machine because only new versions of
the OS are available on it (or at least far less often).

Basically I'm saying all IT workers split the billions a month that
microsoft takes in from Windows and Office, with the users getting tools
really customized to the way they do their business... businesses do
have their own processes after all.  Each and every one does and it's
why that business is surviving.

Long winded for someone that usually lurks and watches, eh?  I was a
little inspired by the other reply that talked about discovering unix
through linux.  My first thought of  Unix was that it seemed crazy
compared to VMS... but it came borglike and I learned to appreciate why.
 Largely it was this linux-epitomized openness.  That and it's been
reimplimented so many times people have it down pat and ironed out.  I
truly believe that Unix is unstoppable, and I always have since I saw
VMS consumed in the flames of Unix' installation tapes.  Linux is like a
barage of flaming arrows  falling onto the small commodotity harware
platform which  IBM managed to create by rushing out a PC with mostly
stock parts.  I imagine a couple more decades and everything is a flavor
of Unix, or a recognizeable Posix variant, at least.

But then, there /was/ that time I was wrong about everything.

cheers,
craig