[luau] Thinktech Hawaii and Linux

Gary Dunn knowtree at aloha.com
Sun Feb 16 23:42:00 PST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:38:16 -0800 (PST)
Casey Roberts <utexan01 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Gary Dunn <knowtree at aloha.com> wrote:
>
> > > ... I think with
> > > more development it could replace windows servers.
> >
> > Really? When? Any time soon, you suppose?
> > Open-source servers currently
> > outnumber windows servers. By a wide margin. Proof?
> > Look here:
> > http://www.netcraft.com/survey/
> >
> > By all means, maddog, include some open-source
> > supporters on your show.
> > Without us, the show will become laughably out of
> > touch.
>
> I hate to be the one that sounds like a spoil-sport,
> but I think it is this kind of attitude that prevents
> the adoption of Open Source alternatives.

Open-source has been enormously successful. It is the software that runs
the Internet. Major hardware and software vendors have embraced
open-source operating systems -- Apple, HP, IBM, Sun, and Oracle.

If you choose to be an apologist, then fine. I prefer the role of
outspoken advocate. My point is that you cannot blame an attitue for
a failure to adopt open-source software when the fact is that open-source
software is enormously successful.

I'm glad to see that the folks at ThinkTech have started to play with
Linux, because to continue to ignore it would make their credibility
suffer. I would welcome an invitation to be on the show and discuss not
only open-source software but my vision for open-source educational
content.

--