[luau] Next Linux Steps for a Newbie?

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Feb 13 16:37:00 PST 2003

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Lately I have been experimenting with Linux on my laptop, mainly Redhat
> and Debian (I think it is Woody), which Scott was kind enough to lend
> to me the other Saturday. Anyways, being stuck at home with the flu has
> given me some free time to "experiment" more. I have Linux up and
> running on my laptop, but I am now at a loss as to what to do with it.
> I've been able to make a few sample web pages using pico and then
> checking them with Netscape. Other than that, I have not been doing
> much else with Linux.

Well done.

> Two goals which I have in mind are:
>
> 1. Being able to install/uninstall drivers and hardware from the
> command line.

Installing, if it is not in the kernel already, is a matter or insmodding
a module ( I had to do this for my nic) or downloading, unzipping, and
sometimes making a gz file.
> 2. Being able to install/uninstall software from the command line.

In debian, make about 5 hours of free time.  Type dselect.  Configure your
mirrors if you did not already in the installation or when you ran
apt-get.  Within dselect, marvel at the Astonishing number of programs
that Debian offers, in its stable tree alone.  I have lost myself in
dselect for hours on end, making lists of all the cool stuff that is
available.
In redhat, if you find an rpm that you like or want, you download and type
rpm -iv package name, or rpm -uv if you are updating the package.  Typing
man rpm will introduce you to all the cool stuff rpm does that I do not
know about.

> Any suggestions on what I should do next to get myself more "familiar"
> with Linux?

Keep playing with and breaking it.

> Thanks!
>
> * On a separate note, would anyone be able to recommend a shop where I
> can have my laptop looked at? I dropped it on the concrete the other
> night, resulting in some scarring and warping of the case. I have an
> older laptop, so it is "relatively" sturdy. It seems to be working
> fine, as far as I can tell, but I would feel much better if I could
> have it diagnosed by a "professional".

If it works, it is not broken.  Ignore the cosmetic, love the scars as
proof of your laptop's loyalty to you.  Don't pay someone to tell you that
it is okay.  Bring it to one of our HOSEF meetings, I'll tell you it's
okay, and you can donate some more of your time. :-)
scott