[luau] Next Linux Steps for a Newbie?

demon_jr808 demon_jr808 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 13 13:31:01 PST 2003

Hi Everyone,

Lately I have been experimenting with Linux on my laptop, mainly Redhat and
Debian (I think it is Woody), which Scott was kind enough to lend to me the
other Saturday. Anyways, being stuck at home with the flu has given me some
free time to "experiment" more. I have Linux up and running on my laptop,
but I am now at a loss as to what to do with it. I've been able to make a
few sample web pages using pico and then checking them with Netscape. Other
than that, I have not been doing much else with Linux.

Two goals which I have in mind are:

1. Being able to install/uninstall drivers and hardware from the command
line.
2. Being able to install/uninstall software from the command line.

Any suggestions on what I should do next to get myself more "familiar" with
Linux?

Thanks!

* On a separate note, would anyone be able to recommend a shop where I can
have my laptop looked at? I dropped it on the concrete the other night,
resulting in some scarring and warping of the case. I have an older laptop,
so it is "relatively" sturdy. It seems to be working fine, as far as I can
tell, but I would feel much better if I could have it diagnosed by a
"professional".