[luau] Friday night IRC meeting, Linux for Hawaii schools

LinuxDan linuxdan at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Feb 12 23:26:01 PST 2003

            I have been working with the DOE, the state of Hawaii, CompUSA
(supporter), Redhat (supporter) and Oceanic (supporter) on the public
schools.
            We have already geared up a demo to be presented to all the tech
coordinators here on Oahu.

            If you all remember the Lingle Campaign demo I was setting up
around the time we had that CompUSA demo, I have already given the
presentation
            and proposal and this will include the seven districts (school
boards approval) within the budget restraints.

            I didn't receive any support on this the time I came up with
this idea last summer (July) and had to wing it.
            Since my injury last December, I have worked on non-profit
status in order to qualify for the support I now have.

            You can check the CompUSA training site for any questions you
may have.

             I am still supportive of any Opensource projects or groups out
there including the mainland, who has given us so much help since many of
those groups have
             already setup many of these networks in the public schools in
their respective states.

             All the people involved in this project are fully certified and
well trained.
             I just didn't want to be doing anything conflicting to what
your trying to achieve and visa versa.

             The tech coordinators will be trained on the new systems at
CompUSA.

             Dan

Hi all
    As one who lurks on this list, and is an avid supporter of the project,
let me share a resource that may help us find schools for the project. I had
a conversation yesterday with one of the buildings' personnel at Mid-Pacific
Institute. It turns out that his wife works for the Superintendent of the
Windward district. (This would include schools from Waimanalo to Kaaawa,
exactly the type of clientele the HOSEF project is trying to reach.) He
wanted to know who to contact. For now, I've asked him to contact Mark Hines
at Mid-Pacific Institute, since Mark seems to run into Warren more often
than I do. For future reference, is there a number/contact for HOSEF that
can be used for the wider community to use? This could help. Also, another
thing might be to get past clientele to pass the word to other schools if
they find the lab and service provided by HOSEF helpful (which of course
they will). Hope this helps. Glad to know the project is going so
swimmingly. :-)
    Take care all. You are fighting the good fight.

Aloha
Tom Donahoe